Student News Site of John P. Stevens High School

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Senior Spotlight – Naina Patti

Senior Spotlight - Naina Patti
Sarah Rusk

Naina Patti discovered her love for soccer in preschool, but it took until 7th grade for her to realize her genuine passion for the sport. A failed attempt at making the basketball team led to a pivotal decision to give soccer another shot, setting the stage for the rest of her career. Eager to dive deeper into the sport, Naina joined the local club team, EUSA, learning the fundamentals and developing a stronger game. However, as high school unfolded, it became evident that Naina had outgrown EUSA and decided to switch teams to Cedar Stars in Monmouth, a move that propelled their personal growth and skill development. 

Determined to get better, Naina embraced a rigorous training routine. Summers became an opportunity for improvement, both with friends and alone. This commitment paid off, earning Naina a spot on the junior varsity team, a testament to the work she put in.

Behind every successful athlete stands a support system, and for Naina, it’s her parents. Beyond logistical support in managing a hectic schedule filled with practices and games, her parents became the driving force during moments of wavering enthusiasm.

On the JPS Varsity Soccer Team, Naina has been a valuable asset to the team with several contributions to the victories of the season. For instance, Naina has scored 4 goals this season adding to a lifetime career goal total of 5 goals from her soccer career. Moreover, Naina has helped the team out with 2 assists; this builds onto a career assist total of 3 assists. Most notably, Naina has made 10 points this year and 3 points the previous season. Naina has shown tremendous growth in her soccer career at JP these past two years as a game player and as a team player.

Every great player has a great mindset. For Naina, she believes ““Although [games and practices] are both important, I think that having commitment is more important than having dedication because you can feel dedicated and still take a day off, but when you are committed, that’s when you go to practice or train, even when you don’t want to.”

Looking ahead, Naina remains committed to her soccer dreams. Despite various challenges, she aspires to continue playing soccer in college, ideally securing a spot on a club team. With that, Naina’s journey reflects a story of resilience, late discovery, and an unwavering passion for a sport that has become an integral part of her identity.