Student News Site of John P. Stevens High School

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Senior Spotlight – Neha Saraswatula

Senior Neha Saraswatula started playing tennis when she was 8, seeking an activity in common with her brother. She remained with the sport after discovering her enjoyment of tennis. Neha loves the sport for its individual aspect, as her success is largely dependent on her own skills and abilities. She believes that there is great satisfaction in mastering different techniques to outplay the opponent. 

“Each match, I look forward to improving instead of dwelling on mistakes and losses,” said Neha. “I also remained open to feedback, learned from my mistakes, and always maintained a positive attitude towards getting better.” 

Neha Saraswatula played her 3rd and final year on the girls varsity tennis team as captain and first singles. The combination of her physical and mental exertion has created a precedent for her younger teammates. She has secured victories in all her division matches and placed 2nd at the GMCs. On the team, she was given the MVP title for her outstanding gameplay. These games as well as other tournaments solidified her remarkable Universal Tennis Rating of 7. 

What’s as admirable as her glistening medals is the rigorous training that helped her earn them. Neha honed her skills through various drills, matches, and conditioning exercises. Taking guidance from experienced coaches and consistently practicing was what refined her strategy to another level. 

Neha will be remembered as an outstanding athlete and leader by the coaches and teammates of JPS. Returning the support she received in her career, she encouraged players around her to play their best at all times.

It is easy to look back and recognize the commitment that brought her so far. After receiving an offer, Neha now looks forward to playing tennis at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Meeting new people is what excites her most about the once-in-a-lifetime experience of college tennis.