Student News Site of John P. Stevens High School

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Art of Individuality – Renee Rapp

From the shining spotlights of the Broadway stage to the dim lights of the Los Angeles music studios comes the charming hit sensation and celebrated star of the time Renee Rapp. A beauty on the stage and a legend in both the music and acting industries, Renee Rapp is a woman destined for stardom, with millions of beloved fans as well as the talent and charisma to keep those fans around. But the question, like many others in her place, has continued to stand. 

What makes Renee so different?

The singer-songwriter had known as a child that she was never bound for an ordinary lifestyle. From her earliest memories, Rapp was drawn to performance. Her stunning performances as Regina George in the Tony-nominated musical Mean Girls, created off the cult-followed iconic 2000s movie, jump-started her career. The star received extensive praise for her performance and vocals, and from there, her E.P., “Everything to Everyone” was released. Rapp went on a national sold-out tour for this play, with eight shows across several cities. But with all of her previous projects and success, the singer has recently been brought to light further with the release of the new movie-musical Mean Girls, a modern twist on the original movie, in which Rapp reprises her role in the musical as Regina George. Since the release of the movie, she has had the opportunity for her full expressiveness in interviews, a huge cause in the appeal to her audience. Renee is known for being completely and thoroughly herself in her interviews, whether it be poking jokes with interviewers to making funny comments on the journey to her success. Called “hilariously chaotic” by Teen Vogue, the star allows her genuineness to shine in a way that charms her fans and allows them to love her more. She’s shown to be unhesitant when talking about her thoughts on the people she meets throughout her career, as well as poke fun with her costars while talking about their experiences together. More so, Renee doesn’t hesitate to call out the immoralities in the questions asked about her personal life in interviews. When asked sensitive questions about her body image and for her views on those asking Renee replied with “I think you’re obsessed, and I get it…but you don’t need to talk about it.” The singer goes on to address the amount of hurt the comments on her body give her and implies its irrelevance in her career and influence. 

Furthermore, the star is well known for her openness when concerning her sexuality, creating a relatable environment for those in the LGBTQ+ community and only adding to her magnetic appeal. The star has lived many years identifying as bisexual but has recently come out as lesbian. Her openness and fearlessness when talking about her sexuality in interviews and her music also allow her fans to connect with her through the struggles of hiding their own identities and struggling to come to terms with their respective sexualities. Renee stands as someone who is proud of herself as she is, invoking a particularly inspiring nature for her fans. The star has also put a niche lesbian twist on her character as Regina George in the 2024 film, previously promising for those “vibes to be there” when promoting the film. She has spread this elucidation through social media and herself, stating that Regina’s lesbian status  “was always my interpretation of it, still is my interpretation of it,” in an interview with Teen Vogue. Her openness in her identity allows for her to shine her iconicness in the LGBTQ+ community, and attracts more attention to her infectious personality. 

Renee’s attractive personality comes even more with her direct interactions with her fans while on the stage. Endless viral clips have been spread throughout social media of Renee interacting with her fans while on her shows by reacting warmly to personalized signs and even allowing fans to introduce the next song in her setlist. And of course, no one can forget the iconic outro of Renee’s hit song “Poison Poison”, which is sung by the fans themselves. Paired with the catchy nature of her music and the personal emotions she writes in her songs, Renee’s complete transition into the music industry has made her even more famous and loved by all. From her raw anger (towards the lovers who’ve previously wronged her) seen in songs such as “Poison Poison” and “So What Now”, to her voicing of mental health and her own personal struggles in songs like “Colorado” and “Don’t Tell My Mom”, every bit of her emotion is poured into her melodies and lyrics, further popularizing her music and herself with those who find solace in her songs.   

Through her performing journey, Renee Rapp has proved herself to be much more than the typical Hollywood idol. She strongly comes forward with her views on body images, and mental health. She also separates herself from the conformity of Hollywood culture through her genuineness and expression of herself. Rapp’s charismatic nature and charming temperament make her into the iconic celebrity that she is known for today, and from the love her fans pour into her through all of her successes, it is rest-assured that the world is a much better place with a woman like Renee in it.