Student News Site of John P. Stevens High School

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Senior Spotlight – Samaksh Sethi

Guibin Fang

As the winter sports season has come to an end, it is essential to acknowledge and celebrate our stellar senior athletes. Among them, senior Samaksh Sethi, captain of the JP varsity basketball team, has proved to be a true threat on the court. After four years of playing basketball for JP Stevens, Sam has shown to be a great offensive and defensive player, due to his all-around playstyle. He has held multiple ten-point performances, has taken five charges, and has made 15 three-pointers this season. Sam has shown that playing at the varsity high school level is no easy feat and that hard work is extremely critical to success. Without this hard work, Sam would not be where he is today.

“For me, getting better meant putting in as much work as possible. Putting up 200 shots a day, staying in the weight room—these are all steps you need to take to get better,” said Samaksh.

Apart from the basketball season itself, Sam has shown dedication to bettering those around him in the offseason. For example, Sam and various other seniors formed summer workout sessions for the team after the team’s everyday practices ended.

“To be a captain, you have to be able to make the people around you better. From the incoming freshmen to the upcoming seniors, you have to be able to instill the key qualities of our program in the future,” said Sam, referring to his time spent in the summer. 

All in all, Sam’s journey as a basketball player and captain serves as a reminder of the power of dedication. As a standout player in his senior year, Sam has overcome the constant obstacles thrown at him through sheer determination and grit while teaching those around him the essential qualities necessary for improvement. Samaksh Sethi’s time and dedication teach other players the importance of hard work, which is why his legacy at JP Stevens High School will never be forgotten.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Hawkeye

Your donation will support the student journalists of John P. Stevens High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.