Student News Site of John P. Stevens High School

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Senior Spotlight – Katherine Bogutskyy

As one of our most beloved senior athletes Katherine Bogutskyy prepares to graduate, the time has come to shine the spotlight on her. Throughout her time at JP Stevens, Katherine has left an unforgettable mark on our school and community. She embodies the spirit of excellence, ambition, leadership, and determination.  

Katherine’s love for basketball was fostered from a young age. She first started her basketball career at the ripe age of nine years old. She enjoyed everything about basketball, from simple drills to fast paced games. Katherine fostered her love for basketball, and showed consistent dedication, and kept fighting to be an even better player. 

Katherine’s most notable qualities are her commitment, compassion, and confidence while on the court. She has been a dedicated leader, team member, and valuable asset to the JP Stevens athletic programs. Since freshman year, Katherine, also known as Kat by her teammates and friends, has been a part of the volleyball and basketball programs. Her coaches illustrate her as a player who never gives up no matter what obstacle is thrown at her. Recently, on the memorable day of February 6, 2024, Katherine achieved her 1000th career point, being the 8th woman in JP Stevens history to achieve this record. Her family, friends, and team members are extremely proud of Kat for her monumental accomplishment and wish her a successful finish to her senior season. Additionally, Coach Weber and Katherine’s teammates congratulated her with a personalized basketball, banner, and balloons. At the end of the season, Katherine was titled All-Conference and First Team All-White, which she describes as a tremendous honor. 

With graduation soon approaching, Katherine has reflected on her years at JPS. Some of her favorite memories were attending school events such as Mr. JPS, BOTC, Pep Rallies, and football games. She also enjoyed playing in all of her volleyball and basketball games, specifically the senior night against Edison High during her sophomore year. 

Aside from being an exceptional student-athlete, Katherine enjoys spending time with her family and friends, watching TV shows such as Suits and The Office, and shopping. Katerine is also a role model for her siblings outside of school and a loving daughter; Katherine describes her mother as her biggest hero, who taught her important life lessons and shaped Katherine into who she is today. 

With one last message from Kat, she expresses her unfeigned gratitude towards these past four years: “I am extremely thankful for being able to be a part of the families created during both the basketball and volleyball seasons. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without meeting my coaches and teammates. They are memories I will forever cherish.” 

As a treasured senior at JP Stevens, Katherine Bogutskyy signs off and plans on attending college to major in finance after graduating. Her legacy and impact on the JP community will last for generations to come.