Student News Site of John P. Stevens High School

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Voluminous Volleys

Voluminous Volleys
Harshita Bhave

On March 1, the Student Council hosted a school wide volleyball tournament. This tournament is a new event and was open to all grade levels, with teams paying a fee of $50 to register. There were a total of 12 teams: Sai’s Hitters, Student Council Exec. Board, BeachBoys, Cat N Em, Fred, Jigglypuffs, Aloha, Slugs, VB with EB, Hit & Run, Send, and Vicmanmans. Some of the teams chose to dress up for the event with Hawaiian shirts, backwards baseball caps, and eye black. 

The game started off with a rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, which was done by one of the participants. Afterwards, the student council board and faculty took some time to talk about the event and boost the morale of the audience and players alike. They also reiterated that the tournament was a traditional 12 bracket elimination style tournament with two groups of six teams, with the winners of each group competing against each other. With all that, the tournament finally set off!

The teams battled out throughout the tournament, creating the semi finals: Fred versus Cat N Em and Aloha versus Slugs. All the teams did their best in their games, with the audience’s vibrant cheers heard all around. 

“I knew we sold a lot of tickets, but I was still so amazed that we had such a lively audience watching.” said senior Nathaniel Williams, a student council member. “We always play volleyball in gym class, but seeing all the people playing and having fun really created a fun atmosphere that I enjoyed. As a member of the student council, setting up the tournament and being in such an environment made me proud of all the hard work we accomplished together, as a team.” 

In the final game between Fred and Aloha, both teams were deserving . However, through all the chaos and with the help of the hyped crowd the true victors of the tournament were Aloha, allowing team Fred to take their place as second place in the tournament. 

“It was a super fun time, as the teams were actually pretty good and each game took a decent while to end.” said senior Keemaya Avinaash. “I didn’t know what to expect when I came, but I found myself having a good time watching and being a part of the audience. The vibes were really good and the audience was pretty absorbed.”

After the game, the student council thanked all the participants who participated and thanked the audience for being so active and allowed for the tournament to be as bumping as it could be. The winning team, Aloha, were shown off with a huge round of applause, and then the night came to an end.

Overall, the student council did an amazing job setting up the tournament and it was enjoyable for both the participants and the audience.