Student News Site of John P. Stevens High School

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Daunting Nexus Between Billionaires and Climate Change

Yuven Amala Arasu

By definition, ethics are the moral principles that direct the actions of an individual and their behavior. Currently, in a time where the world is facing severe climate issues, it is apparent that, ethically, those that have the means to do so should allocate some effort and money to aid this crisis because of how it is affecting the planet and their surroundings. Most people in the world hold ethical values and attempt to conduct their actions based on such principles. Yet, some fail to display these principles in action. This is obvious in the world’s many affluent figures that appear to advocate for social equality and philanthropy. Although there are many influential public figures in society, they do not use their wealth to bring about positive change, instead exacerbating the climate crisis due to luxurious lifestyles their wealth affords them.

The fossil fuel industry is one of the largest patrons to the global climate crisis. Studies by the United Nations show that 75% of all greenhouse gas emissions and 90% of carbon dioxide emissions are the main contributors to global warming. Catering to the biggest threat against humanity, it is clear that these oil dynasties must be stopped before they can wreak any more havoc on our environment. The individuals that can be the most effective in playing a role to solve this issue are the ones who are aggravating it in the first place. 

Many wealthy public figures dance around and even worsen the issue of global warming, starting at the root cause: fossil fuels. This constant ethical dilemma is symbolic of a billionaire’s failure to support green and eco-friendly businesses that would take a stand against corporate environmental degradation. One of the wealthiest figures who own properties in the oil industry is billionaire Mukesh Ambani, the richest man in India. His oil business is the largest private sector of oil companies in India, yet his company produces a great amount of fossil fuels and places the environment in grave danger. He could be using his wealth more productively to combat or even reverse the negative climatic repercussions of his business, but he chooses to neglect what he is doing to the environment instead. Clearly, these billionaires have a moral obligation to aid the biggest crises of the globe and at least attempt to rectify the long-term consequences of their unsustainable actions. These billionaires are constantly exploiting the finite resources offered to them because of their wealth, calling into question if they truly do hold up to their ethical responsibilities. 

The simple juxtaposition of the term “ethical billionaires” becomes blatantly apparent once their personal priorities of profit over wellness becomes discernible. This is highly conspicuous in the public lives of many celebrities, including one of the most influential and memorable artists of all time: Taylor Swift. Becoming a billionaire through the profits gained by her Eras Tour, Taylor Swift has rightfully gained a lot of fame for not only her unique and prolific musical talent, but also for her advocacy for racial justice, female empowerment, and gender inclusivity. However, in recent years, her environmentally irresponsible actions have become glaringly apparent. Just this February, during Superbowl LVIII, Taylor Swift took a thirteen-hour flight from Tokyo to Las Vegas just to watch the game. Although she did this to support her boyfriend Travis Kelce, it is said that her flight generated 40 tons of carbon dioxide emissions, skyrocketing her to the top of a list of celebrities with the highest carbon emissions from flying privately. Regardless of her musical talent, her carbon footprint is representative of the many billionaires who are ignorant of how their actions are augmenting the climate crisis. 

To truthfully embody ethical values and philanthropy, the public figures that hold such strong power in the world simply need to amend their daily practices and transition to more sustainable practices rather than simply be driven purely by profit. Although this is easier said than done, in urgent times like this where scientists predict 2024 to be the warmest year on Earth to date, these billionaires have to make a dramatic shift in their actions to help rectify the environmental crisis. Although they are not solely responsible for amending the issue, they can use part of their fame to combat this crisis.  A prominent example of this can be seen in the highly influential band, Coldplay. In their 2023 world tour, Coldplay, for the first time, ran all their shows using an electric battery system that is 100% renewable, according to an interview by them. Additionally, they made a pledge to plant one tree for every ticket sold on tour, showing the conscious effort they are making to solve the global climate crisis. This simply goes to show how a figure can have so much impact on society and should use their power to aid the planet. Since much of the world runs on a lead-by-example method, if these figures put a conscious effort into helping this crisis, it will not only reduce the carbon footprint of the world, but it will also influence the general public and future generations to do their best to correct their actions so as to preserve the environment. 

The parallel between the actions of ethical billionaires and the climate crisis repeatedly strike moral concerns. Although maintaining fame and public image may garner positivity in society, these figures need to put more emphasis on rectifying the climate crisis for the greater good of society through using their power and wealth. It is only when everyone comes together to utilize the resources at their disposal that our planet will become a safer, more sustainable, and more stable place to support life.