Student News Site of John P. Stevens High School

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

The Hawkeye

Class Characters

Class+Characters
Omm Mishra

School is starting to get stressful, homework is starting to take longer, and sleeping through your days probably sounds more and more appealing. Going through it with schoolwork means it’s pretty easy to blame the classes you take for your state of mind. Maybe you tell your friends you hate biology after a particularly difficult test or blame APUSH for the insanely little time you slept last night. Everyone complains about their classes, but intensely hating them doesn’t do much to help if you still have three quizzes and an essay due tomorrow. We all know that sometimes the best way to deal with a problem is to completely avoid it. And what better way to avoid it than to make goofy little scenarios?

For example, imagine giving your classes a little bit of character; imagine your school subjects as people.

Noticing what people are like in class probably gives a decent idea as to what they’re like in general. English class is often taken for granted before students get older and therefore take tougher courses, but at the same time, it’s a skill needed for literally anything and everything else you do. So English would probably sit at the front of the class and raise their hand for every question, but also help other people out and share their answers. Too much copying would probably make them mad, though. 

English is often associated with History, who probably also participates often and does thorough work despite not being a front-bencher. History is often overlooked compared to other subjects, but it is relevant to things like politics and world issues today. It takes both thorough understanding and memorization to do well, which is why History would probably take great notes on top of participating well. 

On the other hand, Math can be both the simplest and most complex subject simultaneously; there’s always one right answer, though the ways to get there may vary. Math as a student would probably get every question right and like history, have incredibly meticulous work. They would probably be on the quieter side, since math is most commonly associated with being a genius, and why would geniuses talk to others when they can instead listen to their own magnificent thoughts? 

Their solitary nature would be a complete contrast from Science. Since it’s a subject that requires drawing connections, Science as a person might be outgoing. They probably would be a little bit scatterbrained and the type to call out answers in class. Their problem solving skills would be on point, though, because they know how to analyze lots of information, making them one of the smartest in the class. These four could peacefully coexist, but a true test of character would be playing a classroom game like Gimkit or Kahoot; that’s where things may get ugly.

A person’s style and especially taste in music probably says more about them than how they act during school. English teachers usually wear things like sweaters, chunky necklaces, and boots, which give autumn vibes. It’s safe to say that English would follow suit. Especially because English is indisputably a red subject and red is associated with leaves in autumn. English would listen to Taylor Swift and Gracie Abrams because they have the most poetic lyrics in the whole industry, and a language nerd would definitely enjoy that. 

Moving on, history would definitely be a Hamilton fan and so would probably listen to show music and Broadway scores more than any other kind of music. They probably would wear business casual and have surprisingly coordinated outfits that are inspired by older trends. 

Like history, math would also pay less mind to trends. Since we’re painting math out to be a nerd, let’s say they’d wear big sweaters with bad puns on top of collared shirts. They would probably listen to violent classical music because that’s how doing math feels: violent and complex but also methodical. 

Like Math, Science would also listen to fast-paced music. Since their brain moves at a mile a minute, they would probably listen to rap for listenings’ sake and something slower like R&B when they need to focus and study. Science would probably wear anything as long as it didn’t interfere with doing labs or collecting samples. 

Most importantly though, what would they be like as friends? English would undoubtedly be the mom of your friend group, always prepared and always willing to help out with schoolwork. They’d probably be a great listener and drop everything to be there for you, but also a talker who knows everything about everyone. Since they’re great at reading people and also reading between the lines, they understand people really well. They may get annoyed or judgmental easily, but it’s only because they want the best for you. 

History, on the other hand, would be more of a pep talk kind of friend. Whenever you’re having a hard time, feeling hopeless, doing something wrong, this is the friend that will assess your situation, talk you through it, and make sure that no matter what is going on you leave that conversation self-assured and knowing exactly what to do. History, as a theater kid, would also share their niche interests with you and talk for hours about what they’re interested in. 

This is also something Science would do as the kind of energetic friend who would affectionately talk your ear off. Science is the friend you go to when you’ve got questions or when you need to find something out about someone. They’ll perform a whole scientific investigation to stalk someone if you ask them to, complete with a hypothesis, claim, evidence, and reasoning. They, like English, know everything about everyone and can connect the dots to figure out a situation really fast. When they’re not doing friendly investigations, they are gushing about the latest interest they’ve got. 

Math is much less talkative than its counterparts, but that doesn’t mean they’re a bad friend. When you’re emotional over something, Math is the friend you go to to give you a reality check, lay out the facts, and objectively assess a situation. They help you discern what really happened in a situation and plan a logical course of action, which helps support History’s pep talks. Without them, all your decisions would be impulsive because you would lack someone holding you down. 

At the end of the day, no matter how stressful, difficult, or abominable a class can get, it’s only 42 minutes of your day for only 180 days of your life. No matter how many tests you’ve got tomorrow, or projects on which you don’t even know how to start, just try your best and you’ll get through it one way or another. If you have even half of English’s compassion, History’s attention to detail, Math’s problem solving ability, or Science’s  curiosity, you’re in good shape after all.