Flying to the Future

Narun Bhutani

The football team huddles up as they attempt to extend their drive.

Vedant Chopdar, Sports Writer

The JP Stevens football team continued to showcase their resilience this season with hard-fought games and lots of heart. The Hawks’ hard work and dedication to the game were proven through the little things in each game, instilling hope for the current underclassmen for next season.

The Hawks significantly improved their offense, putting up points on the board in every game except for the season opener. Last season, the Hawks averaged 2.25 points per game, with drives often ending quickly due to a slightly stagnant offense. This year, that number jumped to 10.4 points per game. This improved offense was able to capitalize on drives and score at a higher rate, which, along with a stringent defense, kept games close.

Apart from the team’s overall accomplishments, many individual players stood out as game-changers, such as sophomore Quadir Johnson. He had a phenomenal season, establishing himself as one of the best players on the team. Quadir finished the year with 431 rushing yards, averaging 7.3 yards per carry, and led the team in touchdowns. His aggressive style of running was a major component of the offensive scheme. His best game was against Metuchen, when he tallied 137 rushing yards (averaging 11.4 yards per carry) and a touchdown. Quadir will definitely be a key player for the next two years and is already prepared to take the next step as a leader of the team.

Alongside Quadir in the backfield was senior Curtis Good. His highlight game was against South Plainfield when he ran for 91 yards and scored his first touchdown as a Hawk. Curtis only ran four times that game, making this one of the most efficient performances of the season. He finished the season with 244 yards and a touchdown. This running-back duo was a definite bright spot of the season.

Another notable player on the team was senior Marcella Iverson. Along with being the first-ever female to play for the JP football team and score a touchdown, she was also one of the team captains. To Marcella, being named captain of the team was an honor. For her work ethic and leadership, Marcella was named a finalist for the 2022 USA Football’s Heart of a Giant Award, earning the JP football program a $1,000 prize. Marcella Iverson’s impact on the football program will inspire others for years to come.

Next season will be an exciting one for the Hawks. The young talent that flourished this year will get a chance to reach newer heights in their games and build on their previous experiences for a bright future ahead.