From Assistant Principal to Principal: Ms. Quick

As a new year begins at JP Stevens, former Assistant Principal Ms. Meredith Quick has taken on a new role as Principal. Initially joining the JP community in 2011, Ms. Quick first took a job in administration because of her desire to support faculty and help the school community on a broader scale.

Though she found her calling in education, she was initially drawn to music, which is a field she still finds incredibly interesting and fulfilling. She continues to hone her musical talents by singing, playing flute, and practicing the handbells. On the weekends, Ms. Quick enjoys hiking and spending time with her family and two dogs.

Ms. Quick has deep roots in Edison: her family first settled in the area in the 1700s and owned a farmhouse near where Thomas Jefferson Middle School is located now. During her 12 years at JP, she has handled numerous responsibilities, including coordinating state testing, managing school finances, procuring grant money, and even picking out school furniture. Ms. Quick has a deep love and passion for JP, praising its vibrant and welcoming community.

“The students and the staff and the people are the heart of the building,” Ms. Quick said. “It’s not the building itself– it’s the people in the building that makes me want to come to work everyday.”

Ms. Quick emphasized the many changes that JP has undergone during her time here, starting with the size. Although the total student population has grown from 2,100 to nearly 2,800 over the last decade, no extra space has been added to accommodate these new learners. Despite the unique challenges facing JP, however, Ms. Quick noted that the school also has much to be proud of. From a greenhouse funded entirely by grant money to a myriad of clubs suited to any and all interests, Ms. Quick insists that the students truly make JP as great as it is. She chalks up these successes to the strength of the school community.

“I think it is really important that even though we have so many people in this building, people really feel like they have a place in the building and amongst the people,” she said.

Ms. Quick believes that collaboration is an important value for a school community as great things can only come out of multiple people working together. She wants to continue to help as many people as possible, students and staff alike. Moving into such an important role, she notes that one main thing she wants to accomplish as principal is to make everyone feel welcomed in the unique JP environment. High school can be a tumultuous time, and Ms. Quick wants to help students find the perfect balance between personal and educational commitments. She believes that this is the way to balance life overall.

If there is one takeaway from having the pleasure of learning from Ms. Quick, it is that everyone is capable of amazing things when they apply themselves. While Ms. Quick may not be a new face, she will always be an appreciated one here at JP.