Researching the Research Society

Instagram (@jpsresearchsociety)

Students gather for the JPS Research Society’s first after-school meeting.

Megan Gustave, Features Writer

The JP Stevens Research Society is a new club founded by junior Rhythm Vij. Rhythm wanted to create this new club in response to the lack of resources available to him while conducting independent research. He sought to create the Research Society with the goal of providing opportunities for college-level research to high school students. This can allow students to further explore their interests in fields they already enjoy through lectures, meetings, and competitions.

“The club can serve as a vehicle to give students some exposure to various elements of the research process, which are otherwise unavailable,” Mr. Juan Regalon, the advisor of the Research Society, said.

Mr. Regalon attended Rutgers University, obtaining a bachelor’s degree in physics and a master’s in physics education. While studying at Rutgers, Mr. Regalon developed the understanding that it would be difficult for high schoolers to conduct research with limited resources. Mr. Regalon explicitly expressed a hope for club members to think of themselves as researchers. Even if they do not have the opportunity to conduct experiments or publish their findings in academic journals, they can still develop themselves intellectually.

The Research Society’s goal is to help students develop skills that are important for researchers. This includes developing the ability to critically analyze sources and cultivating the ability to work well with others.

Hard work is a value that Research Society places heavy emphasis on. Rhythm explained that the club’s goal is to publish at least ten research papers by the end of the current school year and try to submit papers into competitions by early next year. The club also plans to set up research expeditions that will happen during the summer between school years.

Currently, the club has approximately 340 members. The club’s executive board feared that the club may become too large to handle, but the founders have proven to be exceptional in their ability to lead, even before Mr. Regalon agreed to become an advisor. The genuine interest all of the board members have in the field of research is clear. The club provides opportunities for JP students to conduct research without joining a large private or university organization, removing one of the largest issues students face while pursuing this interest.

The JP Research Society is open for anyone who is interested in researching new ideas and expanding their understanding of the world. Through the club, students can research their interests further and cultivate talents in fields that they are passionate about.