Serving Up a Volley

Shannon Liu

The freshman girls volleyball captain prepares to serve the ball.

Sophia Han, Staff Writer

The JP Stevens girls volleyball team strived for and ultimately achieved athletic excellence this season. The Lady Hawks started their season off strong, with two wins against North Brunswick and Iselin Kennedy. The former head coach, Coach Anthony White, and current head coach, Coach Scott Timko, selected a group of dedicated and encouraging student-athletes who have continuously kept a high level of play while supporting each other, leading to nine wins against multiple competitive teams in the Greater Middlesex Conference during the regular season. However, Coach Timko repeatedly stressed that it was more important that the girls played to their best potential and that they carried this mindset during every game, no matter the outcome. 

After four years on the varsity volleyball team, senior Suhitha Reddy is a powerhouse on the court, with almost 40 kills the entire season. Although this is only her second season, outside hitter sophomore Alissa Ye finished the season off with 63 kills and 30 aces. Captain and outside hitter senior Nicolette Diserio contributed 40 kills and 21 aces, while Captain and middle blocker senior Luccia Jorji had 33 kills and 15 blocks. Although recently transitioning from libero to setter, Captain junior Dilara Pak added almost 130 assists and 70 digs to the scorebook, and libero junior Katherine Bogutskyy ended the season off with almost 80 digs. 

Although these individual accomplishments are certainly memorable, the Lady Hawks credited their superior team dynamic for their success. From short, funny chats during warmups and serious pre-game discussions to Dunkin runs and team eats, the players spent time bonding with each other on and off the court. However, all the captains agreed that there was no better form of team bonding than being on the court together and playing an exciting game of volleyball. This way, the team was incredibly open and tight-knit; all believing that they can truly chat with anyone on the team and be welcomed with open arms.

This warm team dynamic was able to shine through during the most exciting game of the season: the senior night game against Iselin Kennedy. Although the Lady Hawks finished the first set with a close loss, the next two sets were filled with action-packed rallies that ultimately led to the Hawks dominating the match and winning the game. The ending score of each set was 18-25, 25-16, and 25-17. During the game, the stands were packed with students showing their support for the four seniors. 

This year’s volleyball season was definitely one for the books. Not only was it a rebuilding year since most of the starting line-up graduated the year prior, but the team tried out a variety of strategies and line-ups to win more successfully and efficiently. Toward the end of the season, the Lady Hawks were affected by the loss of Coach White. He was an inspiration and so well-loved by the players and people of JP. In honor of him, the Lady Hawks held a “White Out” game against Colonia High School, where students wore white as a form of remembrance. As they continued to push and strive for excellence until the end of the season, they not only exhibited physical strength but mental toughness as well.