Welcoming Ms. Barbiero

Narun Bhutani

Portrait of Signora Barbiero in Room

Namya Purani, Features Editor

Ms. Giulia Barbiero, a new Italian teacher at JP Stevens, has been teaching Italian to all levels for 12 years. She graduated college with her BA, MA, Supervisor, and Principal License, and started teaching to spread her passion for the Italian language and culture.

She grew up in Italy with her entire family and later moved to the United States. When she lived in Italy, Ms. Barbiero became familiar with Italian culture, which she now strives to teach her students about in addition to the language itself. One of the many reasons she chose to become an Italian teacher is the common link between her background and interests.

A primary focus for Ms. Barbiero when teaching is to share her love for Italian. Alongside improving students’ academic performance and instilling a love of learning, Ms. Barbiero’s aspiration is to provide students with an authentic Italian experience. Therefore, she plays Italian educational music in class to help her students learn and retain information better. Aside from teaching, Ms. Barbiero also promotes Italian culture as the current advisor for both the Italian Club and the Italian Honor Society.

Ms. Barbiero believes that one of her strengths is that she is great with kids. She desires to get to know her students throughout the course of the year because she enjoys working with them and knows developing strong bonds will make the learning more impactful. Furthermore, she is empathetic and creative, and she uses both of these skills in her lesson plans and teaching style to further enrich the learning experience for a student. Nonetheless, Ms. Barbiero admits that she can be overly critical of herself as she never feels content with the amount of work she does or what she does. Another thing she would like to improve this year is her ability to multitask, which she believes is extremely important for teachers.

In her free time, Ms. Barbiero is fond of traveling and loves all things food related. She enjoys baking and cooking all sorts of items, but her favorite foods include coffee and Nutella. She enjoys spending time with her grandson. Ms. Barbiero uses her experiences and hobbies to supplement her regular teaching techniques.

She encourages her students to never give up as she truly believes that they can do anything they put their minds to. Bringing her past experiences and advice along with her, Ms. Barbiero is grateful to be joining the marvelous teaching community and wants to spend her time at JP helping her students be the best people they can be.