The Circle of MetLife

Neha Kulkarni

The JP Marching Hawks perform “The Circle of Life” show at MetLife Stadium.

Devavrath Puthur, Staff Writer

On Saturday, October 8, the JP Stevens marching band attended the USBands Ludwig Musser Classic Cup. The competition took place at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ, one of the biggest stadiums in the United States, and home of the New York Giants and New York Mets. The tension leading up to the competition was palpable: the preceding 3-hour rehearsal and dinner break were both the most stringent of the season. 

“The bus ride to the stadium was both exciting and absolutely terrifying,” junior Aniket Jha said. “We were all looking forward to performing at such a huge stadium, but the pressure of performing in a professional arena was just something else.” 

This year was especially important to the marching band as it was Band Director Mr. DeNicola’s final year with the marching band, and it would be his last time going to the MetLife competition with them. His 51st year of conducting the band program at JP would, he hoped, be an additional accomplishment for his outstanding career. His feats include being a Grammy award finalist in 2014 and leading the jazz, concert, and marching band through various competitions, amassing the hundreds of trophies seen in the band room.

“The dedication from the band members is why I love this program,” Drum Major senior Arya Shahane said. “I really will miss it after graduating.” 

As the band went on to perform, the percussion section, also known as the battery or the drumline, clicked their sticks, the usual pre-competition symbol for good luck, and wished each other a good show. Then, under the stadium lights, the JP Marching Band put on their show, “The Circle of Life,” putting the entire crowd on their feet, as they clapped and cheered. The judges, usually stoic, were amazed by the performance and how the band’s 200 members were working in perfect harmony to make their show the best it could be. 

“Standing there, in that stadium, with the feeling that no one could touch us, that was the best feeling I’ve ever felt,” remarked Drum Major junior Alice Ping. 

After the finishing note, the band marched off the field and gave way to the next performers. The students then relaxed and chatted with their friends as their individual photos were taken. The general consensus, however, was that the show went extremely well and that it was one of the greatest run-throughs the band had played as a whole.

The band then marched back in through the tunnel and situated themselves as the awards were being prepared to be announced. The students were anxious as they anticipated their score; they had played their music and done their visuals, but they could still get called out for something the judges may have noticed as imperfect. However, the directors and field techs were proud of their students and assured them that the performance was phenomenal, no matter what the results turned out to be, it would be a successful night for the band. The drum majors from the various bands walked onto the field, and as JP’s drum majors and color guard captains came out, the stature of the students seemed to correct itself; everyone stood with their chests out and their heads held up high with pride for their school. As the other bands were announced, JP was not called until the last three.

After the judges announced JP’s name in third place, the field techs and staff congratulated and commended all the students for their dedication and effort leading up to this momentous competition. The students reflected upon their performance and were motivated to further improve in the coming weeks to make the most out of the rest of their season.

“The rehearsals get tiring, but I think this performance will inspire everyone to keep going until we have won the rest of our competitions,” sophomore Arun Lakhihal said.

As seen by the rest of their season, the band went on to win third place at the Regional Bands of America Competition at Rutgers University, placing the highest of any New Jersey band. At their state championships at The College of New Jersey, JP performed and won the title of grand champion, remaining as one of the best bands in the state.