How Do You Organize Your Binder?

Saniya Vaish, Staff Writer

Beyond the goodbyes and relieved exchanges we share with others on the last day of school, there’s one thing that most of us can’t wait to do when we get home: dramatically dump all of our papers in the trash. In doing so, some can get the closure they need to finally be done with school and start the summer unimpeded by thoughts of geometry or cellular respiration. For some, this may mean lighting that notebook on fire or ripping each individual Spanish quiz into tiny pieces. Or, if you want to take the more moderate route to cleanse your mind of school, you can trash your entire binder, which has been hanging on by a thread for most of the school year. Whichever you choose, it all depends on how you organize your binder! 

First off, the way people organize their school materials can vary from meticulously organized–with color-coordinated tabs and folders–to having their binder tearing at the seams and papers sticking out at all angles. But, like a looking glass into the soul, people’s organizational styles seem to reflect their personalities. 

We all know about those giant zipper binders with the shoulder strap that lots of people lug through the halls. They seem very convenient at first, but the inside of these binders can be similar to JP hallway traffic: too crowded to be efficient. But these are the same people that never have to worry about their organization because all their papers are safe and sound when they’re all zipped up. These binders have huge rings, which can hold every one of your subjects, and even a perfectly stuffed pencil case. Although the owners of these can’t find the papers they need right away, this strategy is pretty efficient. Correction: somewhat efficient. Opening these binders could mean an avalanche of papers falling out at the smallest movement, and finding a single worksheet is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Then, of course, there are those binders you see in the hallway that are quite literally falling apart. To give you a picture of what it may look like, the transparent plastic cover on the front is peeling off and the folders inside look like they’ve gone through decades of nuclear war. Unlike the zipper binder, the papers are exposed to the outside world, prone to getting torn and ripped at the edges. The people with these kinds of binders are eternally clueless; never can they find the math worksheet in time for a homework check or their pencil is lost to the bottomless pit filled with papers. You can count on them to text you after school asking for a copy of the homework, even though you saw them stuff it in their binder. 

But there are also those who have their lives together: the ultra-organized model students that have their ducks in such a pristine row that you would think they measured it with a ruler. With the color-coded notes and binder sections organized by class period, these students do not have even a hair out of place, academically speaking. Their organized pencil case probably contains mechanical pencils and highlighters in every color of the rainbow. If you ever ask for a pencil, be sure to count on these model students to ask you which color pencil you need. Pro tip: ask this person how they take notes–whether or not you learn the topic you can always post the pictures on Pinterest!

Last but not least are the people that carry nearly nothing–these people swagger through the hallways with just their MacBook and a half-inch binder. Yet, like one of those briefcases that appears to have no limit to capacity, everything they need fits in it perfectly! When you see these people in the hallway, notice how relaxed they feel while walking to class–it makes you wish you didn’t have to lug around a binder heavier than the moon. 

The way people carry their belongings shows a lot about their personality. Before making a new friend, slyly inquire what kind of binder they carry around. While personality traits and how well you get along with someone are definitely important to determine if someone would be a good friend, do not forget to see if their folders are color-organized or class period organized; it will only set you up for success in the future.