Mr. Denicola: A Final Note to a Fabulous Career

Shreya Tekal, Staff Writer

Mr. DeNicola, also called “Dean” by students and faculty alike, has been the JP Stevens band director for 46 years. Mr. DeNicola is a proud “Edison product”, born and raised locally, attending Montclair University. His teaching career began in 1973 when Woodrow Wilson Middle School opened, and he taught there for 4 years. In 1977, Mr. DeNicola joined the JPS Band Program. 

Mr. DeNicola developed a love for the trumpet when he was young, after watching his Uncle Sam, a professional trumpet player. Throughout his career, Mr. DeNicola has been proud that he was able to help many students achieve their goals. 

“I feel really good that I, in some way, have touched a lot of lives. It makes me feel really good that I am able to say that,” said Mr. DeNicola. “That’s why I don’t have a favorite memory, there are too many.” 

Being able to play the trumpet while teaching kids the art of music is something Mr. DeNicola loves to do. He is a firm believer that music brings joy to others and that it creates a positive environment for many. 

“The school community made me a better person, made me care more and more about what I do,” said Mr. DeNicola, reflecting on JP Stevens. 

Walking into his office, many pictures and quotes hang up on every part of the wall. The most notable, and his favorite, is the quote, “Choose a job you love, and you’ll never have to work a day in your life.” Mr. Denicola claims, with confidence, that he never worked a day in his life because of his passion for his job and music. He strongly advises teachers and students to follow their aspirations and what they love, since that will bring them true success.

In his retirement, Mr. Denicola will spend more time with his wife and grandchildren, travel, and leisurely play the trumpet. He plans to visit Italy, go on a safari, and spend time at the beach. Mr. Denicola loves everything sports-related and will be cheering on the Yankees. Mr. Denicola knows the future of the JP Stevens Band program is in good hands. He has a huge impact on JP Stevens and continues to inspire so many students. Mr. Denicola will be dearly missed for being a great mentor, musician, and teacher. JP Stevens honors his 50 years of service to music in the Edison school district and, most importantly, his help in building a great community.