Girls Lacrosse

Narun

JP vs Sayreville (4/17/23)

Sophia Han, Staff Writer

As the weather becomes warmer, it marks the transition from winter to spring sports. This year, the JP Stevens girls lacrosse team strives to start off their season with a positive mentality and a desire to achieve athletic success. Starting with team tryouts, head coach Ms. Rachel Toporek selected hardworking and talented student-athletes to create a team that will be supportive and triumph on and off the field. She does this by stressing “patience and being present to learn and grow” as players. 

With twelve seniors who graduated and left the team last year, this year’s roster has introduced many new faces. Therefore, with a largely different team, the Lady Hawks had to return to the basics and adjust to the new team dynamic. Coach Toporek emphasizes the importance of warm-ups and goal-oriented practices. These girls start off with a light jog and stretch, followed by shuttle throws and catches to work on their technique. Then, they practice plays and drills that work on specific skills and finish with relay conditioning races or live gameplay stimulations. 

Additionally, players from past years have been monumental in helping ease this transition. Senior Sana Borkar is a four-year varsity lacrosse player and as captain, she believes that proper communication with her teammates allows them to perform to their best ability. This mentality translates into her team, especially top-scoring junior Cassidy Gesualdo. Cassidy has had three goals, two assists, and scored five points so far. Another star player is junior Sriya Potturu. As the starting goalie this season, she has collected 33 saves thus far.

Even so, their success cannot be attributed to just their dedication on the field, but also their team dynamic off the field. The girls lacrosse team enjoys going to “Eats” at one of the players’ houses after Senior Night to have a meal together and bond with each other. However, their favorite team bonding activity is the senior-run practice towards the end of the season. This is when the seniors control the practice and choose which drills the whole team should do. These practices take on fun themes, such as “Anything but a Lacrosse Stick” and cradling water balloons, from previous years. 

This year’s lacrosse season was definitely one to remember. In addition to overcoming a new team dynamic, the Lady Hawks have grown individually and as a group. Sophomore Jeslyn Victor is glad that she’s able to build new friendships, as well as further old relationships with her teammates. With positive mindsets, these ladies are looking forward to improving their records and accomplishing goals.