The Unity of Art: Bandboozled

Neha Kulkarni

A bunch of sophomores enjoying their time at the Bandboozle

Devavrath Puthur, Staff Writer

The music being played by the DJ in the cafeteria could be heard from down the hallway as students walked into school. On December 19, 2022, Bandboozled, an annual event hosted by the Band Enthusiasts Act Together (BEAT) organization, united students from the art department for a night of dancing, food, and socializing. The theme was Arabian Nights, setting a mysterious undertone to the night. Traditional wear was encouraged for the event, so many students wore kurtas, lehengas, and other traditional Eastern clothing that embodied their culture.

Once inside the cafe, students had the choice of grabbing a soda and relaxing, snacking on chips and other light refreshments, sitting and talking to their friends, or going to the dance floor and enjoying the selection of music provided by the hired DJ. Additionally, there was a small video game station, where there were several Nintendo Switches consoles utilizing the projectors. The photo stations set up in the back of the cafe allowed students to create long-lasting memories. 

“I brought so many of my friends to take photos,” said freshman Grace Lo. “I would run out to where they were dancing, drag them to the back, and make sure I got photos with them so that we would have something to remember. I loved the experience so much and can’t wait to attend again next year!”

During the event, the music ranged from classics such as “Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus, and “Call Me Maybe” by Carly Rae Jepsen to modern party hits such as “Mo Bamba” by Sheck Wes, “Just Wanna Rock” by Lil Uzi Vert, and “As It Was” by Harry Styles. 

“I thought Bandboozled last year was really fun, but I think I liked this one even more,” said junior Neil Correa, “I loved the vibe of the event; I felt like I could dance my heart out and no one would care.”

The cooperation, enthusiasm, and friendship shown between members of different art departments are what made the event what it was. Regardless of what class they took, students could socialize with their peers and come together.

“I play violin in the orchestra, but I’m also a color guard member for the marching band,” said sophomore Sanvi Bhatlapenumarti. “I joined B.E.A.T. this year and I love the fact that I’m able to be a member of two of the music programs and help set up this amazing event!”

Towards the end of the party, more and more students started heading onto the dance floor. The excitement increased as the DJ played some popular selections, and everyone started singing along, dancing, and cheering. Friends would give each other piggyback rides to rise above the crowd, showing their enthusiasm and love for the music. Smiles could be seen all around, and the laughter was contagious as people who were once strangers became friends. 

Around 9 p.m., the DJ slowly started winding down the music, and after wishing everyone a good night, turned off the speakers. The students called their parents to take them home as BEAT members stayed back to help clean up the cafeteria. Everyone congratulated one another as one more successful year of the Bandboozled event had passed.