SHH… It’s Navidad!

Vivian Lee

Seniors making holiday cards at Navidad.

Laasya Udupa, Staff Writer

The JP Stevens Spanish Honor Society (SHH) held its annual Navidad event to celebrate the holiday season on December 15. As they arrived, members filled the cafeteria wearing red and black clothing in honor of the society’s colors along with holiday apparel in preparation for the celebration to come. 

While Navidad was a momentous occasion enjoyed by all who attended, it was also a charitable event that gave back to the community. In addition to a small $2 entry fee, SHH members donated supplies to attend the event. This year, they each donated one canned food along with one other cleaning item such as packaged paper towels, all-purpose cleaning supplies, disinfectants, dishwashing soaps, and window cleaner. Over 300 items were collected that were then donated to the Ozanam Family Shelter in Edison. 

Navidad was a delightful occasion for people to eat, play games, and socialize with their friends. Although food and beverages have been provided in previous years, this year the selection of food was exceptional. Students were free to select from a wide variety of cookies, chips, and soft drinks accompanied by main courses which included pizza and homemade pasta. 

As students entered the cafeteria, they assembled at their tables with multi-colored markers and construction paper to make colorful cards to wish the community a happy holiday. The cards were then donated to the Cards for Hospitalized Kids organization where they would be distributed to kids across America.

“I’m glad everyone was able to create a card,” said SHH Treasurer senior Parth Prajapathi. “It sure will bring a smile to the kids’ faces.” 

In addition to making cards, members were able to participate in a guessing game. Students were asked to predict the number of Starbursts in a large jar. The member who had the closest guess to the actual number was able to keep the jar of Starbursts for themselves. 

Overall, Navidad allowed students to enjoy each others’ company while celebrating the holiday season and giving back to the community.

“It was an engaging experience that allowed me to spend time with my friends during the holiday season,” said junior Anushmita Dey. “I am also happy it gave me the opportunity to donate to the community.” 

All in all, Navidad was a success that left members in anticipation for the years to come and future events that the year may hold.