Honoring the Fall Season

Anika Mehta

The JP Marching Band performs for the student body as students file into the football field bleachers.

On October 26, the Fall Athletics and Marching Band Recognition Assembly was held to celebrate the students who participated in fall sports and congratulate them on their hard work. Students were brought outside by their teachers during period 11 and were seated in the bleachers. By attending the assembly, students had an opportunity to see their peers who took part in any fall sports, as well as watch the Marching Hawks perform.

As students entered, the marching band greeted them with the familiar “bleacher features” from weekly football games as the color guard and cheerleaders did their accompanying performances. After students filled the bleachers by grade, the student council executive board kicked off the afternoon by introducing themselves and the officers of each class council.

“The fall sports recognition ceremony was so much fun to organize and be a part of,” senior Zoya Azeem, a Student Council officer, said. “I wasn’t sure that it would all pull together, but I’m glad it was such a success!”

Starting with the boys cross country team and working all the way to the girls volleyball team, the freshman, junior varsity, and varsity teams of every sport had the opportunity to run across the track as the teams were recognized. As they were introduced, the coaches and captains noted the accomplishments of their seasons and the outstanding achievements of athletes. After all the teams were recognized, the varsity girls volleyball team gave a few words in remembrance of Mr. Anthony White, commemorating him for his commitment and dedication to the JP community.

Finally, the marching band showcased their 2022 show, “The Circle of Life.” Senior Zoya Azeem introduced the band with a special shoutout to Mr. Andrew Denicola, congratulating him on his 50 years of dedication and service to the arts and the JP band program. The Marching Hawks began their 10-minute run and executed sets and visuals perfectly as the students watched in awe.

“As someone who plays in the band, it is very cool to see how much effort the marchers have put into the show,” sophomore Riana Sherali said. “Watching the marching band is always extremely interesting and a pleasure to the eyes of the watcher.”

When they finished their show, the bleachers erupted in applause and all around the field, the smiles of the marchers could be seen. Following the performance, students were dismissed early to retrieve their belongings from inside the building and go home.